Do you want to create a cohesive and inviting space? Get area rugs because, when it comes to interior design, area rugs are often overlooked or seen as an afterthought. However, they can actually play a crucial role in tying a room together and creating a cohesive and inviting space. Here are some of the reasons why area rugs are so important in interior design:
- They define spaces One of the main benefits of area rugs is that they help to define spaces within a room. For example, you might use a large rug to define the seating area in a living room, or a smaller rug to define the dining area in an open-plan kitchen. This can make a room feel more organized and purposeful.
- They add texture and color Area rugs can also be used to add texture and color to a space. This is particularly useful if your furniture is neutral or plain, as a colorful or patterned rug can help to inject some personality and interest into the room. Alternatively, if your furniture is already quite bold, a neutral rug can help to balance things out.
- They absorb sound finally, area rugs can help to absorb sound and reduce echo in a room. This is especially important if you have hard flooring such as wood or tile, which can make a room feel noisy and cold. A plush rug can help to soften the acoustics and create a cozier and welcoming atmosphere.
Why Choosing the Right Size and Shape of Area Rug is important?
Now that you understand the importance of area rugs in interior design, it’s time to think about how to choose the right size and shape for your space. Here are some tips to help you make the right choice:
- Consider the size of the room The size of the room will have a big impact on the size of rug you need. As a general rule, you should aim to leave at least 18 inches of bare floor around the edges of the rug. This will help to create a visual frame for the space and prevent the rug from overwhelming the room.
- Think about the furniture in the room will also play a role in determining the size and shape of the rug. For example, if you have a large sectional sofa, you might want to choose a rug that is big enough to accommodate all the legs of the sofa. Alternatively, if you have a round dining table, a round rug can help to create a sense of harmony and balance in the room.
- Experiment with shapes Don’t be afraid to experiment with different shapes of rugs, such as round or oval. These can be particularly effective in rooms with unusual layouts or non-traditional furniture. However, be careful not to choose a shape that is too unconventional, as this can make the room feel disjointed and confusing.